Considered as one of the most promising pianists of his generation, Amaury Faye personifies the new wave of jazz made in France. The many awards he received in 2016 (including First Prize at national competition Jazz A Vienne/Rezzo Focal, France; Best Soloist/Instrumentalist Award at international competition Tremplin Jazz d’Avignon and Public’s Choice Award at international competition International Biberacher Jazzpreis, Germany) confirm his undeniable talent as a composer and improviser.
He is at his best when leading his trio, breathing new life into this format and its noble pedigree. Their first official album Clearway (PIAS/Jazz Village - 2017) has been released in May 2017 and won the "Revelation!" award by french journal Jazz Magazine/Jazzman in August 2017.
Since 2016, Amaury is featured in the Vogue Trio under the direction of italian bass player Giuseppe Millaci. Their first album Songbook (Hypnote Records - 2017) went off to a good start and the trio started to tour in Europe and South America. The trio has been awarded with a belgian grammy (Octave de la Musique Point Culture 2018).
Faye has recently been performing with a French collective Initiative H. This 12-member band, led by French saxophonist David Haudrechy (Archie Shepp, Rick Margitza), has released two albums (Deus Ex Machina, Neuklang 2013 and Dark Wave, Neuklang 2015) with some of Europe's finest jazz musicians as guests (Emile Parisien, Médéric Collignon, Vincent Artaud). Currently on the rise in europe with acclaim from the public and the media alike, this is the result of a unique, creative process and execution. The ensemble made it to the finals of the 2013 Concours National de Jazz de la Défense in Paris, one of Europe’s most esteemed jazz competitions.
In 2010 the age of 20, Amaury Faye released an album comprised of standards and originals (Big Moe Trio, Greenworks 2010) featuring Louis Navarro (bass) and Pierre Ardré (drums). Inspired by the musical universes of Oscar Peterson, Hank Jones, and Kenny Barron, the album was recorded in traditional fashion, live, over the course of two days. It is currently distributed in Europe and Japan. Three years later, the trio was a finalist in the French jazz competition Jazz en Baie 2013.
In 2014, Faye moved to Boston to study at the prestigious Berklee College of Music, where his strong artistic reputation enabled him to study with renowned musicians such as NEA Jazzmaster Joanne Brackeen and Tia Fuller. This deeply inspiring experience opened the door to higher levels in his musical endeavour and thus, in March 2015, Faye received Berklee's Jazz Performance Award for best jazz pianist.
Since 2015, Amaury has moved to Brussels, starting a new chapter in his promising career and with it a new trio featuring french musicians Louis Navarro (bass) and Théo Lanau (drums). In the following months they have quickly established themselves as an undeniable force and a revelation to the European jazz scene by winning five different awards in national and international competitions in 2016. Since then the trio has started to tour in Europe and Canada and won the "Revelation!" award descerned by french journal Jazz Magazine/Jazzman in August 2017 for their first album Clearway (PIAS/Jazz Village - 2017).
Through this project, Amaury Faye displays his skills as a great improviser, an inspired melodist and a fascinating storyteller.
Even if Faye’s music obviously falls into the “mainstream jazz” category, it might be difficult to be more specific, such is the richness and diversity of the blend of influences, ranging from jazz to classical, rock, pop and blues. Indeed merging idioms and ideas is at the heart of his musical concept whether it be in composition, performance or improvisation.
His attention to the architecture of each song, mixing the written and the improvised makes his music strong and makes it flow naturally, allowing for expression and emotion.This is something that can be found in the work of one of his spiritual mentors and greatest influences, american pianist Brad Mehldau. Owning this influence and the part it has played for him, Faye has accepted the challenge to take this heritage with him on his journey and make it his own.
"Fast, agile and melodic lines and at the same time keeping the energy flowing."
"He is a very creative pianist and composer. His work is consistently top level, very musical and intriguing. He's in the top category!"
Joanne Brackeen - Internationally acclaimed jazz pianist
"A true revelation."
"A pianistic ease and a melodic naturalness that give his music a false air of simplicity."
"A very young pianist who we will hear from a lot!"
"His music, without an ounce of effects or electronics, releases a freshness and a delightful relaxation which results here or one as unexpected or eruptive solos."
"A wonderful pianist, lyric, inspired, extrovert and charismatic"
"Constructing complex melodic structures with breathtaking ease."
- 2018 Octave de la Musique Point Culture - with Giuseppe Millaci and Vogue Trio (Belgium)
- 2017 "Artist Of The Month" Bustle Music - Clearway - with Amaury Faye Trio (Europe)
- 2017 "Revelation!" Jazz Magazine/Jazzman - Clearway - with Amaury Faye Trio (France)
- 2016 Avignon European Jazz Competition Best Instrumentalist / Soloist (France)
- 2016 Jazz en Ville Competition First Prize (France)
- 2016 Jazz à Vienne Rezzo-Focal Award (France)
- 2016 International Biberacher Jazzpreis People's Choice Award (Germany)
- 2016 International Biberacher Jazzpreis Second Jury Prize (Germany)
- 2015 Berklee Jazz Performance Award (USA)
- 2013 "Revelation!" Jazz Magazine/Jazzman - Deus Ex Machina - with Initiative H (France)
- Album with Initiative H recorded and released in 2018 (Broken Land, Neuklang - 2018)
- Album with Giuseppe Millaci Trio recorded in 2016, released in September 2017 (Songbook, Hypnote Records - 2017)
- Amaury Faye Trio debut album recorded in 2016, released in May 2017 (Clearway, Jazz Village/Harmonia Mundi - 2017)
- Album with Initiative H recorded in May 2015, released in November (Darkwave, Neuklang - 2015)
- Finalist of Concours National de Jazz de la Défense 2013 (with Initiative H)
- Finalist of Tremplin National Jazz en Baie 2013 (with Amaury Faye Trio)
- Album with Initiative H recorded and released in 2013 (Deus Ex Machina, Neuklang - 2013)
- Album recorded and released in 2010 (Big Moe Trio, Greenworks Prod - 2010)